By unifying Europe’s leading Institutions and Companies the PHABULOuS pilot-line will design and manufacture FMLA solutions with the goal of integrating them into high added value services. Through synchronizing efforts and translating urgent high-impact industrial needs, we will provide faster, seamless and cost-efficient pilot manufacturing for industrially relevant predictable software packages, manufacturing tools and processes, characterization methods for quality inspection and integration schemes.
Freeform optics consists of optical components
- designed with no symmetry constraints
- enabled by improvements in computing power & ultraprecision machining
- New functionalities
- Aberration reduction
- Non-symmetric illumination
- System simplification / integration
- Design & simulation
- Surface description
Micro-optics consists of optical components
- between a few micrometres and a millimetre in size
- Such as small lenses or arrays of lenses (MLAs)
- New functionalities
- Low-weight & Large-area
- Flexibility & Conformability
- Low-cost mass manufacturing
Acceleration & Optimization
We will aim to achieve an overall increase of MRL from 5-6 to 8-9 through manufacturing FMLA processes and functionalities.
This is done through the following steps:
- Adaptation of predictive algorithms into well-developed optical CAD models and simulation packages that provide early feedback on manufacturability.
- Optimization of different ultraprecision micro-machining technologies for the origination of high-quality FMLAs
- Optimization of commercially relevant, high-throughput up-scaling technology
- Integration of a surface coating technique portfolio
- Optimization of the metrology procedure
The pilot line manufacturing technologies and processes will be validated by the implementation of 6 use cases from various application domains:
Micro Displays for Augmented Reality
A new dimension to consumer’s experience by providing the world’s highest pixel density AMOLED microdisplays.
The technology provides brightness enhancement and control of angular light emission, e.g. in see-through optical systems for wearable Augmented Reality (AR).
Virtual and Augmented Reality
Thin free-form optical lenses with improved image resolution and reduced volume and field of view for VR/AR headsets.
LED downlight with asymmetric uniform light distribution.
The thin-form factor/cost-effective FMLA solution will replace the current bulky/expensive facetted reflectors.
Automotive exterior lighting
Headlights with uniform appearance in the on/off state, yielding a high beam and an asymmetric low beam with a homogenous light distribution and low stray light, low installation space and low weight.
Free-form microstructured foils/plates with gemstone appearance.
Hexagon Panel is an homage to the world-famous honeycomb design that has sparkled on spectacular facades all over the world.
Active Panel combines the luminous power of 200,000 crystal per square meter with a backlighting of special LEDs.
Transportation interior lighting
Large-area direct-lit LED luminaires with improved luminance uniformity, thinner form factor and lower cost.